To update - the problem is now solved. The issue was that old SDSS
metadata in the SP was still being loaded (though I thought I'd
commented it out from the config) and the clash between it and UK Fed
metadata meant that access worked (as far as we can tell) for IdPs which
were in the SDSS federation before the UK Federation, and whose metadata
had not changed in the meantime.

Thanks to all those who helped test this and make suggestions.

Cheers,
Simon