-----Original Message-----
From: General DCMI discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mary Woodley
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [DC-GENERAL] Invitation to DCMI Knowledge Management Community

We want to invite you to a new DC Community: DCMI Knowledge Management Community

2007-11-05, At the meeting of the DCMI Global Corporate Circle <http://dublincore.org/groups/corporate/>  at DC-2007 in Singapore it was suggested to re-focus the group from its charter that places the main attention on application of Dublin Core metadata in corporate environments to a more general focus on Knowledge Management.

  DC-KM is a community for those people who are implementing DC for knowledge management in academic settings, governmental and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), companies and international organizations. We want to facilitate collaboration between developers and information providers to ensure interoperability of applications to facilitate reuse, awareness, cooperation and learning within and among organizations.

In this context, Knowledge Management is a bridge the gap between Digital Libraries and semantic Web applications; between the social knowledge networking of Web 2.0 initiatives with formal semantic knowledge representations.

We will develop a body of work that provides best practices, case studies and examples of how Dublin Core methodology is applied and implemented in knowledge management.  Examples include what elements are used, how they are interpreted, values/controlled vocabularies, tagging methods and return on investment (ROI). We are asking for input for a list of open issues and we will publish a list of them and a workplan within the end of the year.

We are planning a session of the community for DC 2008 in Berlin

The group is moderated by Mary Woodley of the California State University Northridge and Johannes Keizer of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in Rome. Johannes has also become a member of the DCMI Advisory Board.

http://dublincore.org/groups/km/

Moderator:
Mary Woodley <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
California State University Northridge
USA

Johannes Keizer <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
FAO - The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Italy

Ann Apps MBCS CITP. Research & Development, Mimas,
   The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6039  Fax: +44 (0) 161 275 6040
Email: [log in to unmask] WWW: http://epub.mimas.ac.uk/ann.html