Hi,

We have looked into this issue in Devon as part of our regular Development Control work.  The main problem appears to be that many museums that accept archives derived from PPG16-related archaeological work do not have a policy to collect and archive digital data.  To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is no (national) policy from the museums community to archive digital archaeological data in an appropriate way (such as with the Archaeology Data Service - ADS).  Asking for an archive to be deposited with the ADS, when the only digital component is a few photographs, may be an appropriate way forward, but there would be considerable costs for each project associated with this.  Possibly an agreement between the museums community and the ADS (or other digital archive that preserves digital data in the long term) needs to be investigated?

In the meantime, we see the black-and-white negatives/prints as the photographic archive.  To this end, we state in our briefs for archaeological work "The photographic record shall be made in B/W print supplemented by digital or colour transparency.  If digital imagery is to be the sole photographic record then suitably archivable prints must be made of the digital images by a photographic laboratory.  Laser or inkjet prints of digital images, while acceptable for inclusion in the report, are not an acceptable medium for archives.  The drawn and written record will be on an appropriately archivable medium.

Anyone got any other thoughts about this?

best regards,

Graham Tait

--
Graham Tait