Hello GEM-ers!

I am interested in developing tours led by children for children in an historic house. The idea would be to get a group of children from local schools (aged 10-14) to organise and market their own tours locally. These tours would be included in the admission price for the house. There are some health and safety considerations and also conservation issues, so there would be adult room guides supervising (they would be briefed about the need to let the children do the talking!) and young visitors would be accompanied by parents. Has anyone done this before, and if so, are there any do's and don'ts which I should think about? I am particularly concerned about: training in public speaking and drama skills; confidence building and how to help the adult room guides (mostly volunteers) interact with and support the kids, without taking over their job!

Most grateful for any advice!

Regards

Evelyn

Evelyn Wilson
Education Officer
Bannockburn Heritage Centre and Alloa Tower
Bannockburn Hertage Centre, Glasgow Road, Stirling FK7 0LJ
01786 812664