APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING

Please find a call for papers below. A poster is also attached as a pdf
file.

Best Regards

Lucy Fife
Organiser of Journeys Across Media Conference 2008

Authenticity?
Reality, Reliability and Access in Performance and Media

Department of Film, Theatre & Television — University of Reading
Supported by the Standing Committee of University Drama Departments (SCUDD)
and the Graduate School in Arts and Humanities, University of Reading.

What do we really mean when we say something is authentic?  How important
are questions of authenticity to our engagement with media texts,
performance and institutions?  As a concept, authenticity remains imprecise
despite its frequent association with many aspects of film, theatre,
television and new media.  JAM 2008, the sixth annual conference for
postgraduates run by postgraduates at the Department of Film, Theatre and
Television welcomes proposals that interrogate and put pressure on the idea
of ‘authenticity’ in film, theatre, television and new media.

The following themes and sample issues are central but not exclusive:

•	Narrative – How important are issues of narrative status to both fictional
and non-fictional texts? In what various ways is interiority constructed,
presented and limited?

•	Spectatorship and point of view – How does our perception of authenticity
structure the critical and emotional experience of different media forms?
How does the construction of point of view expand or limit our assessment of
visual media and performance?

•	Authorship — How do we conceptualise the ‘author’ within the construction
and reception of the text? Is this more important and/or relevant when
considering different media practices or performances?  Does awareness of
authorial intent affect practitioners, participants and academics differently?

•	Form – In what manner is reality constructed and achieved in performance
and media? How is this process important to our understanding of and
engagement with the text?  What is the status of aural and visual
special-effects in relation to realism?

•	Medium specificity – How do restrictions of access take on specific forms
according to the medium involved? Do changes in performance rhetoric affect
our understanding of authenticity across differing visual media?

Call for papers deadline:  Friday 18th January 2008

Please send a 250-word proposal and biographical note to Lucy Fife at
[log in to unmask] Papers should be no more than 20 minutes.  Registration
details will follow in January 2007.

Journeys Across Media (JAM) is an annual one-day interdisciplinary
conference organised by and for postgraduate students.  It provides a
discussion forum for current and developing research in film, theatre,
television and ‘new media’.  Previous delegates have welcomed the
opportunity to gain experience of presenting their work, at different stages
of development, in the active, friendly and supportive research environment
of Film, Theatre & Television at the University of Reading.  Non-presenting
delegates are also very welcome.

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon