I like Marina's idea of the 'unexpected knowledge effect'.

A question though: is profundity more a question of depth or of truth (or both)?

Henry

I agree with Daniel.
‘Profound’ is a weak designation to a cinematic experience that awakes some sort of unexpected ‘knowledge effect’ (according Althusser) not necessarily dependent on words but, obviously, dependent on film elements and specific articulation.
On this subject, allow me to suggest you the reading of my essay “Between Looking and Gesturing: Pierre Hébert's Concept 'Animation d'Observation'” at http://obs.obercom.pt/index.php/obs/article/viewArticle/62

Marina Estela Graça

* * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **