Hello

We have a profoundly deaf student undertaking a diploma in mental
health.  He uses hearing aids.  He needs to continually lip read to hear
what is being said and does not use either a standard telephone or a
text phone.  He said he will use a text phone if he needs to.  In
previous employment he always worked in pairs (he was a carer in a home)
so the other worker always informed him if he did not pick up on
something and made/took phone calls.  Therefore, our main concern is
when he is on placement.

Has anyone else had experience of this situation - particularly in
relation to working in mental health units.

Regards

Klaire Benton
Disability Coordinator

Disability Services