Also, in a lot of cases people 'fall foul' of the unable/virtually unable to
walk rule.  You will find that some people basically remain housebound
(relying on family/PAs/carers) to go and e.g. buy shopping/collect
prescriptions, as some/many PCTs class 'virtually unable to walk' even
tighter than the HRM DLA regs.  You can be on HRM DLA, and still be
ineligible for powered mobility on the NHS.

People are also often issued standard manual chairs which they cannot
self-propel; saying to the PCT that you need a lightweight chair so you can
get yourself to lectures may well result in being told that that is an
'educational need'.

The same applies to being able to sit in the wheelchair for protracted
periods of time.  Personally, I have often heard stories where people have
only been able to sit in their powered mobility/manual chair for an hour.
That appears to be deemed acceptable for a 'mobility aid'...particularly
when the reason you want to be able to sit in it for eight hours is for
work/education.  I've recently been told that a major reason for my sitting
ability getting worse is lack of 24-hour positioning...but that's hard to
achieve in a uni/work environment.

This can be a particular shock at university level, as at school age
services are far more joined up.