Sarah

I have more experience in using LOM than DC but I got the impression
from somewhere that IsBasedOn was dropped from DC at some point because
it more or less replicated the DC.Source element (except it doesn't
allow reciprocity of reference) -- but, as you say, it stayed on in LOM.

IsBasedOn according to the CanCore guidelines
http://www.cancore.ca/en/help/59.html  means:

The described resource is derived, in whole or in part, from the
referenced resource. (Use this term for any types of revisions,
corrections, changes, etc., that are not adequately covered by
isversionof or isformatof.)

While Source according to http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#H2
means:

Definition: The resource from which the described resource is derived.
Comment: The described resource may be derived from the related resource
in whole or in part. Recommended best practice is to identify the
related resource by means of a string conforming to a formal
identification system.

So perhaps using Source in the record for the translation is another
possibility?

Regards
Irvin

Irvin Flack