Hi all,

Been doing a bit of research in the list archives to answer a question
for myself and have ended up more confused.  Any help from old hands or
current implementers appreciated.

Looking at how to indicate that a resource is a translation of another
resource, I assumed that isVersionOf / hasVersion were the appropriate
refinements on Relation.

The current usage guidelines don't appear to be very much in agreement
with this: "The described resource is a version, edition, or adaptation
of the referenced resource. Changes in version imply substantive changes
in content rather than differences in format."  Is a translation a
"substantive change in content"?

I found some very old emails in the list archive that indicated that
isBasedOn / isBasisFor were once supposed to be used for translations.
I can't tell if this was ever actually included in recommended DC, or if
it was just an early discussion.

The complexity is increased by the fact that our system is structured on
IEEE LOM metadata, but we offer crosswalks to Dublin Core- but the LOM
*does* include the terms isBasedOn / isBasisFor as well as the Version
ones.  Not sure if the LOM once upon a time based its vocabulary on the
then-DC vocabulary, or if something else happened, but I guess its
irrelevant now  :-)

Is it the case that isVersionOf / hasVersion are now used to indicate a
translation relationship?

Thanks all
Sarah

--
Sarah Currier
Product Manager, Intrallect Ltd.

2nd Floor, Regent House
Blackness Road
Linlithgow
EH49 7HU
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 870 234 3933    Mob: +44 (0)7980855801
E-mail: [log in to unmask]