From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Trent
Sent: Mon 05 November 2007 11:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] An "interesting" event, but is it wrong?

I have just been called by a person from the crematorium with the statement that it is my fault ("there IS a box on the form, sir")for not ticking a box on the "consent to a cremation form", that I never saw, and that no-one drew my attention to, that was close to but BELOW the pace for signature on the form.

One may this argue that I ought to have seen this box, but I feel one may argue in return that no item below the signature is relevant to the contract.

There is a very strong argument that the newly bereaved are unlikely, despite the law presuming them to be competent, to see all items on the forms they sign because of their emotional state.  You can probably guess that I am normally diligent in selecting which organisations may market to me, but that my eye will have been off the ball.

I also make the strong argument for Permission Based Marketing.  Even if lawful, this is intrusive beyond tolerance (my tolerance at least).  The form should opt IN to marketing whatever the legalities state.

I feel tricked into giving consent - not the best platform to mount a marketing campaign from, really.

Griffiths, Ian wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">
There it is...

My only question would be whether there is consent elsewhere, do you
recall doing this?