Date:    Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:39:54 +0000
From:    Chris Pringle
Subject: Re: Paying for academic journals

Since virtually all the contributions so far prompted by this thread have=
=20
been entirely critical of the existing structure of the academic=20
publishing world, and since some have specifically mentioned Elsevier and=
=20
Political Geography, let me respond by offering a case for the defence.

The first essential point to make is that publishers do make a=20
contribution to the process, including but not limited to: funding the=20=

editorial offices that manage the review process, providing publishing=20=

services such as copyediting, and supplying and improving technological=20=

infrastructure and functionality that has revolutionised the academic=20
world - ensuring the widespread dissemination and longstanding=20
preservation of the scientific record.=20=20

Given that publishers are making that contribution as a commercial=20
undertaking, it is reasonable that they should expect some financial=20
reward. The question of whether the financial reward Elsevier gets is=20
reasonable is addressed in an article I published last year in=20
Geoforum, "Price and value: A publisher's perspective". (You can find it=20=

by following the link at the end of this email.) I believe Elsevier gives=
=20
excellent value for money.

These days it is indeed easy to create an online journal and disseminate=20=

it publicly, with very little direct cost initially, albeit with limited=20=

functionality and haphazard discovery. Anyone who wants to spend the time=
=20
and effort to edit one without either the financial support of a publishe=
r=20
or the sustained indulgence of their institution is welcome to do so (and=
=20
many people do); once the initial enthusiasm wears off, either because of=
=20
simple passage of time and the changing interests and obligations of the=20=

editors, or because success makes the task grow to inconveniently large=20=

proportions and turns a hobby into a chore, or they can't keep up with=20=

technological innovations, many will find themselves in the same situatio=
n=20
as the editors of Antipode did, and discover that a publisher can indeed=20=

bring something useful to the party.

As a publisher, I am confident that I do provide a valuable service to th=
e=20
fields I work in, that the publications I have created and managed perfor=
m=20
important roles, and that most or all of them would not have existed and=20=

could not be sustained to their present high standard without the support=
=20
and financial investment of Elsevier. Perhaps the most valuable function=20=

the various open access initiatives will serve is to provide competition=20=

to ensure that commercial publishers such as Elsevier have to keep on our=
=20
mettle and continue to innovate and to provide ever better value for mone=
y.

Having made my main point, I would like to address related issues raised=20=

by others on this thread: ownership of journals and abuse of copyright.

Justus Uitermark wonders "what would happen if, say, the editorial board=20=

of Political Geography collectively decided to take its journal=20
elsewhere". (In fact Political Geography, like most journals, is owned by=
=20
its publisher, not by the board.) The answer is that there have been=20
instances of editorial boards leaving en masse to start new journals; and=
=20
that in those cases, the existing journals have carried on, without major=
=20
harm, as far as I know, and certainly without being supplanted by the new=
=20
rival.

Justus and Deb both appear to advocate ignoring copyright restrictions,=20=

deliberately posting articles in breach of copyright, and 'liberating'=20=

back issues. I am curious as to whether their approval of breaching=20
contractual agreements freely entered into, and thereby possibly deprivin=
g=20
the target of the transgression of some income, would extend to other=20
types of contract they might enter into, and in which case they might be=20=

on the receiving end?

Sorry that this has ended up longer than I intended. I don't expect to=20=

sway many people on crit-geog-forum from an anti- to a pro-commercial-
publisher position, and I certainly don't intend to get involved in=20
protracted debate here. I just want you to understand that the issues her=
e=20
are possibly more complex and less black-and-white than they might seem,=20=

and that there is plenty that can be said in favour of the existing=20
structure.

Oh, and if you want a third party's view of my "Price and value" article,=
=20
try here:
http://www.econ.ucsb.edu/%7Etedb/Journals/weasel.html

Chris

Chris Pringle, MCILT
Publisher - Geography, Planning, Development & Transport
Elsevier
Langford Lane
Kidlington OX5 1GB
United Kingdom