Because the RGS-IBG can be extremely important as a lobbying force when we
are fighting for better resource for geography in UK HE, decisions to
join/not to join should not be taken lightly; where people do have reasons
not to join they should do as Gerry says: let Catherine Souch know, as well
as members of Council. The connection between the Heads of Geography group
and the RGS is a little ambiguous, but if HODs petitioned RGS as a unified
about sponsorship then that might have some material impact - so you could
always inform your HOD about your decision too.

I would remind all that you can join IBG Research groups without joining the
 RGS (though often a small charge is made for newsletters etc) which enables
you to remain 'in the loop' and participate in affiliated events. As Duncan
points out, it is perfectly possible to contribute to debates about the
future trajectory and ethical stance taken by the RGS without being a
fellow (e.g. I left the RGS-IBG in 1993 and have remained active as study
group member, serving on committees and am currently Chairing the Social
and Cultural Group).

BTW: the debate isn't just about Shell: some of us have anxieties about
being associated with Land Rover (part of Ford Group), Ordinance Survey
(tries to sell back data that taxpayers paid for), Trailblazers (promotes
luxury travel and has no environmental policy or carbon off-setting as far
as I am aware) and Rolex (can't afford one!) The formation of the
crit-geog-forum was partly a response to such anxieties and a concern that
the concerns of IBG members would be overwhelmed upon merger within the
RGS. It is good that there is still debate about the type of organisation
we want to represent us publicly, and that some still take principled
stands.

--
Dr Phil Hubbard
Professor of Urban Social Geography