Dear all

I am attempting to set up a Climate Change study group with the British Sociological Association. Study groups are, to quote the BSA, one of the three central scholarly activities of the BSA, alongside the annual conference and the journals. In brief outline, the premise for setting up such a study group is the idea that climate change is at least as much a social as a scientific problem, and that any meaningful solutions will likely be social, rather than scientific/technological. Thus sociology has an important, but yet unrealised, role to play in negotiating a way through this unfolding transformation of the social and physical world. The study group would be part of the process whereby sociological perspectives and theories relevant to climate change are explored and developed. It is also anticipated such a group might provide useful synergies with the work of Crisis Forum and Rescue!History

Membership of the study group requires membership of the BSA. The group would not involve any particular demands on anyone's time,
though there would be either an annual or bi-annual event to bring people and ideas together, in addition to online activities and discussions.

If you are interested in joining please contact me via this email address in the first instance.

Best

Chris Shaw