Michael

Thanks for the halfpenny - it arrived in mint condition

I lived in the Dingle in the 1990s and still go to liverpool a lot so I
know where you're coming from on that front.  Ive also follwoee with
interest the CPN-linked communty fight back work in 'New East Manchester'
(olny new if you're new to it) and listened o the Luton New Deal area
experiences at the Great Yarmouth conference with a mixture of
acknowledhgment and recognition.

' apprectiave enquiry ' is not a term I'm familiar with but will dig into.

The idea of a substantial 'pump priming' of 'truly community-focussed'
organsitional structure has its appeal, notwithstanding all the arguments
that then follow on the deifinuitions involved.  At the moment a typical
grant is say £15k to £20k for two or three years, with the rationale given
that 'our' cash will only go so far, as well as this notion of not giving
too much because it might affect plans for 'sustainability').  It could of
course be argued (and will be in my paper to the board that the underlying
reason for small grants like this is that it keeps groups and organisations
dependent on our (and other Trusts') goodwill, so that they need to 'behave
themselves'.  A more legiitmate (in CP's terms) approach may, as you
suggest, be to lob a million quid at a community focused set up and let
them get on with it - it being challenge rather than compliance.

So i'll think on

To be honest I have no idea what's going on in Bhutan -I try to be
wide-ranging in my reading but there are certain areas I've not got to - so
I'm open to more info.

Best

Paul