If suppression of adventitious protein binding to Ni-NTA with elevated
imidazole concentration is not practical (depending on the protein you
can use up to 50 mM or higher), then you might try separating the
proteins using hydrophobic interaction chromatography, which is rapid
and very powerful. Personally, I would try butylsepharose. Most proteins
will stick to this medium at 1 M AmSO4. Gradient elution (transitioning
to 0 M AmSO4) should identify conditions of rapid step gradient
separation if the proteins are separable. If your protein is already
highly purified, you should be able to carry out this separation on a 1
mL or 5 mL mini-column that will take only minutes on an FPLC.

Cheers,

Roger S. Rowlett
Professor
Colgate University Presidential Scholar