I wrote:

> Isn't it the case that vdw interactions are turned off
> between atoms in a residue, and perhaps with the residues
> before and after?
No it is not the case, at least in refmac5 and SHELLXL.
Thanks to those who clarified this.
Jim Naismith's earlier post, which I had not seen, suggests
a better explanation (perhaps obvious to others) for why positional
refinement does not drive residues toward the nearest Rama
optimum:  the vdw repulsions determining the Ramachandran plot
involve hydrogens, and none of my models have explicit hydrogens.

Ed