At the University of Portsmouth we have begun to monitor sexual
orientation in some very specific areas. We ask staff and students who
apply to join our Assessment Panels as part of our Equality Impact
Assessment work. We are also in the process of designing a feedback form
for staff who use various internal services for support in harassment
and bullying cases and intend to include sexual orientation in the
monitoring section.

The question we have used is:

What is your sexual orientation?

Bisexual
Gay man
Gay woman/lesbian
Heterosexual
Other

We have discussed using "Prefer not to say" as an alternative to
"other".

Hope this is helpful

Regards

Alex

Alexandra Muir-Mackenzie
Equality & Diversity Adviser
University of Portsmouth

Tel: (023) 9284 5039

>>> "Dicker, Berry J" <[log in to unmask]> 21/11/2007 15:51 >>>
Dear All,

 We are at present reviewing our monitoring and are interested to know
what question people ask in their monitoring about sexual orientation.
 If you do monitor would you be willing to share your question with
us?

Also can you suggest any publications which we could advertise in
which
would be specifically read by LGB people?

Thanks,
 Berry
 My email is [log in to unmask]