Thatīs a wonderful subject. Actually I am planning for my future PhD to work with alchemy.

I think your questions are cool but have the same anxiety as I am suffering with my BA thesis right now. The theme or big subject seems clear in your exposition, though I donīt know if you have a "research problem question". For example you quote  "[...]the people who practice it is always as a side note in some other context, such as the exodus from Spain as a result of the Inquisition". Well, that is exactly what a research question is. It needs to be just a frame analysis of the big subject cause the grade of spcecialization in sciences is huge to treat "knowledge" as a unique item. Of course I agree with interdisciplinary work and with the gathering of different "levels" of analysis of reality. I wonīt go on with this epistemological matter cause is well explained in text books.

What aspect of the relationship between science and alchemy are you willing to research?. I suggest you concentrate on a concrete matter of this huge theme and develop your hypothesis. Of course you need first to be handy with the background history of alchemy in western world (maybe something from the east of Eliadeīs "Alchemysts and Forgers" book) to make the "state of the matter", that is, what has been done before regarding the subject. About your implicit question of the relationship of alchemy and science, yes, Yates, is the best option to start a History of Science project, such us yours. Another book that quotes Yates and has lots of bibliography on it too, is " Coming to our senses: Body and spirit in the hidden history of the West" by Morris Berman.

Well, I think all people here have given lots of info. Iīm glad that everyone here is so helpful.

And I insist...ask a few questions that makes you trace a "map of the territory" (Bateson) otherwise you will be lost in the jungle.

Kind regards from Argentina

Sebastian