  From: Sabina Magliocco
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:51 PM
  Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Child witches in Europe and the northern hemisphere

  In _Lucifer Ascending: The Occult in Folklore and Popular Culture_ (U. Kentucky Press, 2003), Bill Ellis argues that the occult has always been a source of power for adolescents and women in Western cultures.  He argues persuasively that many historical instances suggest that teenagers played and experimented with witchcraft and the occult as a means of obtaining power with which to oppose the authority of adults.   This trend, of course, continues in the activities of teens today, who tell legends, visit allegedly haunted sites, play with Ouija boards, and experiment with "dark" elements in popular culture.  His arguments may be of use to you.

  Best,

  Sabina

  Sabina Magliocco

  Professor and Chair

  Department of Anthropology

  California State University - Northridge

  18111 Nordhoff St.

  Northridge, CA  91330-8244

  "Burning the candle at both ends lights up my life."