On Wed, November 28, 2007 7:52 am, Christopher Kimberley wrote:
> I do have a Facebook account but until Caroline joined up the other day I
> hadn't logged in for a long time. Like her I'm not sure how its functions
> are best applied.
> I suspect that it can be used in many different ways. Although it is
> intended for social networking it has been used of late for E-recruitment
> for example. However, I suspect that for many of us the tools that we use
> for 'work' and 'recreation' are essentially the same now. This perhaps
> leads to a growing sense of 'E' stress.

After the last Death, Dying and Disposal conference, a Facebook group was
opened for postgraduates who had attended. I've not spent much time on it
so far since I've been busy with writing up. It looks promising, there's a
really interesting discussion started up; the main problem for me is
finding the time to look at one more place.

I live quite removed from academic centres (in my fields) so e-contact is
important, it's just the time factor really.

And by the way, I wouldn't say that Facebook itself is 'tacky', but it's
amazing the kind of thing some people like to play with online.

--
Margaret Gouin
PhD Candidate