Well, I've always had fantasies that certain committed
students would take what they learned from class and
start their own group, but it hasn't happened as far
as I know (their being freshmen may have something to
do with it). Some students have kept in contact with
me afterwards and one even asked my advice on
paranormal matters, so I suppose if I wanted to, I
could contact them and start a 'study group.'

In fact, after my diss is done, I was thinking of
starting a salon-type study group for hermetic topics
in Chicago to continue the work of a now-defunct group
there, and I was probably going to contact a few
former students (this is college-age, mind you) to see
if they're interested. But I certainly wouldn't start
anything affiliated with the university - I have no
idea about the politics of such a thing. My current
adjunct status may be either a hindrance (no job
security) or a help (under the radar) to such a thing.
But things may change if (when) I get the tenure-track
position I'm applying for.

But in the class itself, I never trumpet my initiatory
experience. If I reveal anything at all, it's that I
do 'research' into these groups. The smart and engaged
ones figure it out and they may ask me outside of
class and I don't lie - but because my own experience
is so eclectic and I don't affiliate specifically with
any one group, I can still represent myself as
objective and unbiased.
JLW