We should also be clear, I think, about the difference between learning practice (training) and learning about practice in the classroom. I think one can still objectively approach practice - as in what worldview, philosophy and performance theory go into actual practice and ritual - and still go beyond merely studying secondary historical sources. Just as anthropology has opened up arenas for such experiential learning of cultural practices, I believe esotericism offers us the same opportunity - especially through fieldwork with esoteric practitioners (and not just Pagans). I don't think we should necessarily throw the baby out with the holy water, and ignore practice altogether in the academy. Granted, my opinion is borne of a performance studies background, which may still be controversial for scholars of esotericism.
JLW

Kathryn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Folks,

After listening carefully to the responses that have been posted, I agree
with you Wouter, and others who point out that a public Academy intended to
be non-exclusive has to continue striving for objectivity.

Personal "religion" is just that--private, not public; and personal practice
is as varied as there are people, an impossibility to institutionalize with
equality. The answer is that spiritual practice IS too private to be taught
in public institutions.

As you and others have commented Wouter, there are many private institutions
that specialize in personal spiritual development.

As I have said before, and attested to by the responses regarding political
resistance to esotericism in the Academy, colleagues who have succeeded in
creating departments, programs, and classes in esotericism have performed a
nearly impossible task, and one with much heavy lifting yet to go.

Hats off to each of us for our role in "the Great Work," as some would
poetically term it. I sincerely hope that dialogue between practitioners and
academics will continue to enrich our mutual teaching and learning.

Kathryn