> Felicia:
> Oh, but I do *so* love the image of a "Blazing Mirror" that Tendrych
> suggests. I may begin using it on my lonesome as a name for a newly
> created imp I've been contemplating creating... heh...
>
> Tom

LoL.  Why does this transport me back 30 years to a game of D&D in the
basement of a neurosurgeon? He pulled out some plastic figures he
stated were the Hounds of Tindalos - make a saving throw!  Whereupon,
the lab tech to my right picked one up and pronounced they looked like
"five dolla' hounds" to him. ;->

> Great question, Ty.
>
> I personally think "no, the etymology doesn't matter so much as usage
> and context. Unlessssss...." and here's where it gets sticky. I am
> both an academician AND a practitioner, which means that lots of what
> gets ladled out as pop-pagan isn't acceptible to my level of academic
> integrity. I can understand the usage and the context of words like
> Dryhten, but can't participate in it fully because of my background.
> And, since I think I'm representative of a fairly large sub-population
> of Witches, things like etymology become necessary if one is working
> toward credibility in the spiritual sphere.
>
> Tom

Have to agree.

> After all, does the chemical makeup of a rock matter so
> much as the fact that someone is using it to represent the naughty
> bits of Shiva?

Yes.  If it's talc, it won't work. ;->

Felicia