A Sustainability Network for the Humanities

***Apologies for cross-posting. Please circulate details to anyone
who may be interested***

The second meeting of the Sustainability Network for the Humanities
will be on Thursday 29th November, 2007 (venue tbc).

At the first meeting of the Sustainability Network, we considered the
concept of Sustainability and its rise to importance in the
contemporary climate.  For the second meeting we should like to build
on themes that arose from this first meeting.

We are therefore seeking presentations to form the basis for
discussion on the following themes:

Sustainability and consumption; private right and public good
	Presentations that explore the conflict between a respect for the
individual's right to dispose of (consume) their own private
resources and the need to preserve such resources for posterity and a
'wider good'.  Presentations should have a focus on the
sustainability of cultural resources, and consider how we judge what
can or should be conserved and sustained and what might be left out
of public control.

Sustainability as a recurring theme
	Presentations that consider past occasions when individuals and
societies have recognised that over-consumption needs to be
identified and/or controlled, and how this was communicated and acted
upon by individuals and institutions at the time.

The institutional need and local delivery
	Presentations that consider the current the efforts of modern Higher
Education Institutions to develop policies on Education for
Sustainable Development and the potential impact of these policies on
local degree content and teaching.

Presentations should be timed for approximately 20 minutes in length.
Please send suggested titles and abstracts to
[log in to unmask] before 5th November 2007.

We also welcome participants to discuss the above themes - all are
welcome.

If you would like to reserve a place please email
[log in to unmask] with your name, institution,
and broad areas of interest in relation to the workshop.  The
workshop is free to attend, and lunch and refreshments will be
provided (please also specify any dietary or other requirements).

Archaeology HCA, Higher Education Academy
www.hca.HEAcademy.ac.uk/archaeology

SACE, University of Liverpool
Hartley Building
Liverpool L69 3GS