Hello everyone

Apologies for cross posting

Earlier this year Birmingham City University (the new name for UCE Birmingham) was successful with a bid to the Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellowship Scheme (NTFS) to run one of the first ever NTFS projects.

This project stems from the philosophy that educational practices should nurture skills and attitudes that prepare students for the future. As part of this, one key objective of the project is to explore issues of employability in the curriculum across disciplines. Teacher, student and employer perspectives are brought together with the aim to:

1.      develop innovative teaching resources that incorporate employability-related skills;

2.      offer guidance on work-related skills to students;

3.      elaborate recommendations on sector-wide practices on how to embed employability in the curriculum;

4.      provide guidelines to employers on how to support new recruits.

The project is in its very early stages. An initial review of the literature on employability confirms that employers and new graduates agree on a skills gap in early stages of professional development. Commercial / Sector awareness is the most sought by employers and most needed by new recruits. Commercial / Sector awareness is a skill cluster. It encompasses awareness of:

          competitors

          market leaders / innovations

          trends or demographics

          researching beyond corporate websites

Despite a wide-spread belief that this skill is only relevant to Business students, we believe it is relevant to other disciplines and we will expand understanding of it in a range of areas such as Law, Housing, Performing Arts to name a few.

We are currently planning a pilot study. We are aware that some of you might be already engaged or interested in activities of this kind. If you would like to share with us your ideas, activities, experience, we will be delighted to hear from you. Please get in touch with us at [log in to unmask]

If you are interested in following our progress or want to find out more go to our Moodle site: www.moodle.bcu.ac.uk click on staff courses and then click on Creating Future-Proof Graduates. We have enabled guest access but you will need the enrolment key: futureproof

Alternatively click on this link: http://www.moodle.uce.ac.uk/course/enrol.php?id=541

Best wishes

Ruth on behalf of the Creating Future-Proof Graduates Team

Celia Popovic

Jenny Eland

Anne Hill

Nick Morton

Carmen Tomas

Ruth Lawton

Ruth Lawton

Teaching Fellow for Employability

Centre for the Enhancement of Learning & Teaching

Birmingham City University

0121 331 5126

Birmingham City University is the new name unveiled for the former University of Central England in Birmingham
For more information about the name change go to http://www.bcu.ac.uk/namechange/official_announcement.html