IGRS Psychoanalysis Network

PSYCHOANALYSIS AND THE ARTS SEMINARS

The seminar will take place from 5.00 - 7.00 pm, at the IGRS, Stewart
House, 32 Russell Square, London WC1, in seminar room ST 275,
on the second floor.

Let us remind you where we are. In Seminar 17 of 1969, in which Lacan
first describes the four discourses, he demonstrates that structures
indeed do walk on the streets. We have taken the four discourses to
found our discussions as they allow us to look at the relation between
works of art and psychoanalysis, as other than a relation of
psychoanalytic interpretation of works of art, in which the work, or
artists, gives itself up - or is subjected to - to a masterly reading.
Art practice is a means of producing a social bond, but this is far
removed from a sociological or contextual view of how art practices are
'made social'. We have invited psychoanalyst and writer Vincent Dachy
and artist John Timberlake to take up the discussion, under the title:

Figured Landscapes: Positionality, Picturing, and the Social Bond.

Vincent Dachy was born in Belgium and lives in London where he practices
Lacanian psychoanalysis, writes and takes photographs (although he also
takes photographs and writes when he travels out of London). He is the
author of Tribulations of a Westerner in the Western World (Les Figues
Press, 2007), as well as of numerous articles on psychoanalytic theory.

John Timberlake is an artist whose work focuses on the relation between
different modes of picturing and viewing in relation to landscape. His
exhibitions over the past few years have included Colony (2007) at the
New Art Gallery Walsall, 'East International' (2004) at Norwich Gallery,
and the touring show 'Another Country' (2002-2003).  John Timberlake is
currently undertaking an MPhil/PhD at Goldsmiths College, and is an
alumnus of the Whitney Museum of American Art's Independent Study
Program.

Enquiries: [log in to unmask]