See letter in today's Nature from Philip Esler, and refernfces he gives:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v449/n7164/full/449781c.html

There has been a lot about this topic recently, including some on this list.

The new MRC CEO, Leszek Borysiewicz has commented in support of basic research
http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/53681/

The Institute of Ideas are also looking into this question - "is the disinterested pursuit of knowledge desirable or realistic in the 21st Century? "
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=2svBlS8dH8gFWHsRhvFhbA_3d_3d

Frank Norman,
NIMR

At 19:46 17/10/2007, you wrote:
>Dear fellow Psci-commers
>
>I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the state of science funding in the UK.
>
>Has there been a move away from pure research in favour of the more applicable? Is it difficult to get funding for science research unless the end result has some obvious financial benefit? Is there such a thing as science for science's sake these days? Has there ever been?
>
>Is it the case that as universities become increasingly strapped for cash and look to commercial companies for funding, this shapes the nature (and perhaps the results) of the scientific work they carry out?
>
>Any comments or ideas of where I could get hard data on this kind of thing would be much appreciated. It's for an article with a looming deadline so a speedy response would be great.
>
>Thank you
>
>Jessica Griggs
>********************************************************************** 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message: set psci-com nomail 2. To resume email from the list, send the following message: set psci-com mail 3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message: leave psci-com 4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html 5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk **********************************************************************

Frank Norman
Librarian, National Institute for Medical Research
The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA,  UK
tel 020 8816 2227   fax 020 8816 2230   email [log in to unmask]