Andrew, Martin -- here's an upside-downer of mine, which you may or may not
feel is outside the traditional frame. The change of person between the two
sonnets in the pair is because they're from my book about Shostakovich, and
are meant to illustrate the fact that he hated talking about himself but
would talk about the sufferings of others, and it was then up to the
listener to add the 'reflection'. The line "a man without a memory's a dead
man" is pretty much a quotation from the composer, according to Volkov.

    Mirror Fugue

    The truly-dead are those that are forgot,

    and a man without a memory’s a dead man.

    He will tell you everything he can.

    Friends, relatives, acquaintances, the never-met --

    their fates still bruise him. Listen:

    the slow drips of tears, of heartbreak,

    freeze and refreeze. His grief is glazed

    as Leningrad’s winter waterways

    deepen, deepen by reflection

    till the ice is far too thick to crack.

    He sees their faces through his frozen tears

    and finds himself mirrored with them.

    You want him to sing under this ice?

    today he has only the one theme.

                        *

    Today I have only one theme.

    You want me to sing under this ice

    and find myself, mirrored with them?

    I see their faces through my frozen tears

    (this ice which is far too thick to crack)

    deepened, deepened by reflection,

    as Leningrad’s winter waterways

    freeze and refreeze. My grief is glazed

    in the slow drip of tears, of heartbreak.

    Their fates bruise me still. Listen,

    friends, relatives, acquaintances, the never-met,

    I will tell you everything I can,

    for a man without a memory’s a dead man.

    Truly, the dead are those that are forgot.

joanna