Rather different from Denise Levertov's essay, to say
the least, singer-songwriter Neko Case's piece also
has much to offer--and so charmingly!

"My Flaming Hamster Wheel of Panic About Publicly
Discussing Poetry in This Respected Forum"

When I was asked by _Poetry_ to write an article for
them I was ecstatic. I was flattered. I felt
important! I agreed immediately. About twenty minutes
after sending my e-mail of acceptance I paused to
triumphantly sharpen my claws on the bookcase when I
noticed the blazing, neon writing on the wall. It
said: YOU'VE NEVER EVEN PASSED ENGLISH 101 AND
EVERYONE WHO READS THIS MAGAZINE WILL KNOW IT. Why do
I care? I'm not sure. I think it's because I don't
want to let poetry down. Poetry is such a delicate,
pretty lady with a candy exoskeleton on the outside of
her crepe-paper dress. I am an awkward, heavy-handed
mule of a high school dropout. I guess I just need
permission to be in the same room with poetry.

I think the fear began in about fifth grade. Right off
the top they said poetry was supposed to have "form."
Even writing a tiny haiku became a wrestling match
with a Claymation Cyclops for me. (I watched a lot of
_Sinbad_.) We aren't too cool for poetry; it's the
other way around. At least that's the impression I
took from public school. The fact that these feelings
would remain into adulthood is ridiculous. We all have
the right to poetry! How could I still think it's for
other people? Smarter people. What's doubly confusing
is I don't have the same reservations when poetry is
accompanied by music. Perhaps I feel that way because
there is music all around us--it's the wallpaper of
our lives. It's not considered precious in American
culture unless a symphony is performing it.

I _do_ know when a string of printed words busts my
little dam and the tears spill over and I sponge them
up with my T-shirt. I couldn't give you that formula
before it happens, it just hits me like a bat to the
face. That's a sweet, hot, amazing, embarrassing
moment. It even makes me feel a little included, as if
I have to be "ready for the poetry" for it to be
happening.

I can't choose which kind of poetry I like best.
Sonnets? Prose? I don't know the terminology. I just
blurt out some fragmented gibberish into the vast,
woodsy country of poetry. It freezes in midair. Here
come some examples now . . .

Shakespeare's _Titus Andronicus_ haunts me. Aaron's
death speech is veiled, venomous gospel music. I read
it over and over even though I've already memorized it
like a teenage girl in love. W.H. Auden scares me
under the couch (even when he's being funny). I hold
my flashlight on "The Witnesses," with its haunting
"humpbacked surgeons / And the scissors man," until my
arm shakes, my trusty dictionary in my other hand.
Dorothy Parker makes me manic! I can't even make it
through the first three lines of "The Godmother"
without bursting into tears. Lynda Barry and Sherman
Alexie save my life constantly. They battle identity
crisis with a sense of humor and a language that
speaks so hard to me because they came from my home,
in my own time, and they talk to me in our special
parlance. They tell me I'm not crazy because they
remember it too. It really is the old Washington State
that created my personal brain-picture ABC's. (D is
for "Douglas fir.") The same Washington State I can
never go back to. Barry and Alexie volunteer to go in
my place. Their memories make friends with mine. I
can't live without them.

What do these poets have in common? They don't write
sycophantic, roman-numeraled-volumed postcards to God.
They don't get all "love-ity-love-love" either. I get
the sense they imagine their audience and want to
comfort them. They are so good at it they even have
the ability to comfort us with scariness. Sadness too.
I think that is a powerful magic. They don't just
write poetry either;  they are playwrights and
painters and singers and novelists.

How can we help them out? I guess we keep on needing
them, even if it's kind of a secret. If the poets
handed out anonymous comment cards for us shy poetry
lovers to fill out so they could get a better idea of
what we needed, I would direct them to the Osbourne
Brothers' bluegrass classic, "Rocky Top." They say in
two lines what poets and writers "Anna Karenina"
themselves to death to convey, about a girl who's
"wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop / I still dream
about that." If those lines were written about me I
could lie down and die. It is perfection. Uncool
perfection.

Neko Case
_Poetry_
(November 2007)