Thanks, Jon, Martin, Doug, & Joanna for all the
interesting points you make and questions you raise,
such as Joanna's "seed of the poem" query in terms of
line breaks. I know exactly what you mean by that
emerging unit (whether we call it a line, a measure,
or even an image) that strives for the shape created
by a line break or a space break, in some cases. I
once had a talk with Joe Duemer about how
uncomfortable we both tend to feel until that shape
begins to form itself as a poetic utterance.

And speaking of utterances, Jon, I agree with you
totally about the precedence that text has taken over
utterance--all the more so now in the Digital Age when
texts themselves are so disposable.

As far as the measures vs. lines issue goes, to me
it's a sound/sight dichotomy with line breaks often
marking a pause in thought rather than breath--and one
that can sometimes only be effected visually. I've
written a few strictly visual poems and have learned
not to "perform" them at readings because they just
fall flat. How my "measure-for-measure" sound poems,
built for aural apprehension, come across on the page,
I'm not sure, but they do seem to read well as some
kind of word music.

In terms of how we listen to (or for) line breaks,
Doug used the word "shift," and I think it's more
accurate than "pause" as a description of the effect
of a line break on the ear. Obviously, it's even more
effective on the eye, which has to shift as well.

Random thoughts in a very interesting discussion....

Candice