because the possibility of an arbitrary device exists, and I'd rather
not believe or trust a presumed effect whose effectiveness I can't see
for myself or have explained to me. a lot of people who know nothing
about, say, metaphor would probably get more out of poetry than they
would without being aware of what metaphor entails.

I'm not going to just 'believe' that something is intended to be
important. just as well I could say that my use of commas in my
poetry, while it may seem normal, is actually extremely central to
understanding the poetry at all. I mean, I wouldn't tell anyone unless
they asked me.

KS