From: Plagiarism on behalf of Gill Rowell
Sent: Wed 10/24/2007 10:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Plagiarism by academics

Dear listmembers,

Yesterday we were approached by a journalist, who is looking to write an
article on academic plagiarism, ie plagiarism by academics, and I was
wondering if listmembers have any experience in this area.

In particular, what strategies, if any, are institutions using to combat
academic plagiarism? I am aware of some institutions who take steps to
verify that all teaching materials posted to their VLE are both original
and have also received the appropriate clearance in terms of copyright.
Additionally publishers are becoming increasingly vigilant to academics
who submit unoriginal or duplicate research papers for publication.
Emerald have been particularly proactive in doing this.

Also, how are incidents investigated and dealt with? Is there a need for
specific guidelines on dealing with suspected cases, similar to those
for dealing with student plagiarism, or should incidents be dealt with
via the standard disciplinary process.

Many thanks,

Gill

Gillian Rowell

Advisor

Internet Plagiarism Advisory Service

Northumbria Learning

Room 304, East Wing

Hadrian House

Higham Place

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE1 8AF

Tel: +44 (0) 191 2438443

  "The Plagiarism Advisory Service offers general guidance only on
issues relevant to plagiarism prevention and detection. Such guidance
does not constitute definitive or legal advice and should not be
regarded as a substitute therefor. In particular guidance given by the
Service will not take account of provisions of any relevant assessment
or other governing regulations. The Service will not give advice on the
interpretation of any regulations and all guidance is given subject to
the relevant regulations. The Plagiarism Advisory Service does not
accept any liability for any loss suffered by persons who consult the
Service whether or not such loss is suffered directly or indirectly as a
result of reliance placed on guidance given by the Service."