-----
From: Horan Sharon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 October 2007 10:02
Subject: Carol Black's Call for Evidence

 Earlier this year the Secretaries of State for Health & for Work and Pensions commissioned the National Director for Health & Work, Dame Carol Black, to undertake a review of the health of Britain's working age population. Evidence is needed to inform this review and I am collating this on behalf of the RCN. Please let me have your comments on the following points as soon as possible as the deadline for this work is November 30th and I expect a groundswell of views/ evidence etc. The questions are as follows:-
  • How can we keep working age people healthy and how can the workplace be used to promote health?
  • How can people best be helped to remain in or quickly return to work when they develop health conditions including chronic disease or disabilities?
  • How does the age of the person affect the support that is needed?
  • How can we encourage action to improve employee health?
  • What underlies the apparent growth in mental health problems in the working age population and how can this be addressed?
  • What constitutes effective occupational health provision and how can it be made available for all?
  • What would be the impact on poverty and social inclusion of a healthier working age population?
  • What are the costs of working age health to business and what are the benefits to companies of investing in the health of their staff?
If you wish to respond independently , you may do so on www.workingforhealth.gov.uk
Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all

Sharon Horan - RCN Professional Nursing Advisor
Society of Occupational Health Nursing
Occupational Health Managers Forum
Cancer Nurses Forum.
Mobile :- 07962684592
PA- Elaine Cleary- 02076473757

The Professional Nursing Department works with members and other stakeholders to develop excellence in nursing practice, influence policy and promote the science and art of nursing.

FORTHCOMING CONFERENCES AND EDUCATIONAL EVENTS: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net