"Notice of Surplus Status" might be appropriate for surplus equipment but, just as Giacinto noted,  it is truly outrageous to use it for human beings, irrespective of their status and accomplishments. I always thought of Canada as a "kinder and gentler" country, but this act has shaken my belief. It is also incomprehensible that two leading scientists, Phil Bunker and Bob McKellar, among the very best that Canada has in physical sciences, could be let go, in this fashion or any other. What are they thinking in NRC?

Zlatko Bacic

Professor Zlatko Bacic             Telephone: +1-212-998-8435

Department of Chemistry         Fax:              +1-212-260-7905

New York University                 E-mail:         [log in to unmask]

New York, NY 10003