I am forwarding a response to this thread from a current non-member with
particular insights. Jo

Hi all,

I was very interested to read the ongoing discussion prompted by Joy Kemp's
enquiry about published literature in relation to student caseloading.

As I believe Karin Gotterall indicated Bournemouth University (BU) pioneered
student caseloading in 1996, and it remains a core component for all
students across the pre-registration midwifery programmes. It is an
innovative and creative approach to midwifery education that was recognised
as an example of good practice in the Department of Health Publication
Delivering the Best; Midwives Contribution to the NHS Plan (2003). Our
experience and provision of student caseloading has attracted widespread
interest with educationalists from within the UK and as well as Hong Kong,
Denmark and Sweden visiting us to explore caseloading in relation to their
own curricula.

As highlighted in the online discussion relatively little literature exists
around student caseloading, although anecdotal evidence suggests staff and
students feel positively about the benefits of this approach to midwifery
education. It may therefore be of interest that as part fulfilment of a
Masters degree in Health & Social Care Education I have undertaken a
qualitative study exploring student midwives experiences of caseloading at
BU to develop an understanding of how it has impacted on their learning
journey to becoming a midwife. Unfortunately, I have not yet published my
work but this is something I aim to do soon. However, Student caseloading at
BU was the subject of an invited conference workshop and this is reported in
MIDIRS Midwifery Digest (Rawnson S, Fry J, Buxton C, Woolfenden E (2005)
Looking towards the future: but starting now! [Workshop report] MIDIRS
Midwifery Digest, Vol 15, Supplement 2 : S19-21).

Regards

Stella Rawnson