Dear Sarah, Dear All,

Thank you for your helpful comments regarding my paper from last Saturday's
lively round-table discussion.

I perceive that theory and practice are co-extensive as in equal or
co-incident in space, time or scope which I feel is important as I am
particularly interested in the relationship between the role of theory
described in the literature on mentoring and the reality, as described by
the practice of mentors.

It is also necessary to note that whilst ALT's are identified in literature
as being appropriate for use with adult learners they are not exclusive to
adults, but are distinct from those developed from research into learning by
children.

I understand that mentors' utilise practical knowledge and then also have
espoused knowledge.  Both these sources of knowledge lead mentors' as
learners to developing their own personal theories, which then become
theories in use.  Thus 2 of my key questions for my PhD research project (I
am in the writing up stage at present!) are:

 "What are the influences on mentors' in practice?" and

"What are their personal theories, and what are they made up from?"

I will get back to you on the possible sharing of my paper electronically.

Best wishes

Rosalind