John Dillon's post came in just as I posted mine, and he is undoubtedly
correct in noting the allusion to Apoc. 1:13, which perhaps shifts this
practice towards a different meaning in this case.

I notice that the PL version of the Glossa ord. -- which we all agree is not
very good -- nevertheless reads: "Praecínctum ad mamillas. Daniel cinctum
renes vidit in Veteri Testamento, quia ibi carnalia constringuntur; hic
legimus praecinctum ad mamillas, quia in Novo Testamento, etiam cogitationes
judicantur", which at the least might give you an idea to follow further. --
Paul Chandler

On 31/10/2007, John Dillon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Eliana,
>
> As various people have pointed out, a _zona_ is a bodily cincture; wearing
> an iron one is almost certainly a form of penitential
> self-mortification.  Cinctures are commonly worn around the waist and in
> those instances _zona_ is usually translated as "belt" (also the word's
> extended significance, as in zones of the earth) or as "girdle".  But a
> _zona_ can also be worn around one's torso to cover the breast.  A modern
> term for that is "bandeau" and a generic one is simply "band": your saint
> will have bound herself across the breast with an iron band.
>
> You might have a look at translations of Apocalypse 1. 13 to see what
> terms are used to render the the golden _zona_ that the angel there is said
> to wear across his breast (_praecinctum ad mamillas zona aurea_).   In view
> of _mammillas_ and _precinxit_ (to say nothing of the conceptual opposition
> between _ferrea_ and _aurea_), it seems likely that your author has this
> passage in mind.
>
> Best,
> John Dillon
> (not confident that this will be posted in a timely manner)

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]