Dear Marjorie,

Sorry for delay - was travelling in Norway for business - unable to connect to Internet.

The name "Robertians" is given to  "Capetians' ancestors", as "Pippinids" is given to "Carolingians' ancestors". The only problem is : when a dynasty is starting ?  Before Hugues Capet, two Robertians have been Kings of France (Eudes 1st and his brother Robert 1st).

Capet is a nickname which stays unexplained until now and this nickname has been given to Hugues largely after his death.

I just want to add that when French are speaking of Capetiens directs, they don't want to say that the others Hugues Capet's descendants were not Capetiens directs : it is only to emphasize on the first branch of Capetians/Robertians genealogical tree.

Best,

Andre Yves Bourges