Hi,

You wrote:

>I have to balance your unsupported declaration against the evidence to the
contrary. Take it up with all who disagree:

http://www.jacquesdemolay.org/

So where is the evidence?

>>"Templars: a red cross paty on a white ground/mantle/surcotte,
Hospitallers: a white cross paty on a black (later also red)
ground/mantle/surcotte. Even colourblind observers may notice the
difference. And after 1307/12 there would have been no more confusion at
all."

Henk

>My note about the confusion had nothing to do with color or clothing, but
transfer of property.

Before 1307, to the orders' contemporaries, the visible difference in
clothing and the heraldry on all the orders' property was clear enough to
see the difference, as it should be for modern people who are interested in
this. After 1312 it did not matter anymore because the property of the
Templars was in the hands of the Hospitallers or in those of the new Iberian
orders who are nothing but the Templars in a thin disguise.

It does not bode well vide trustworthyness for a website on the Molay when
they portray him dressed in a mantle and surcote with the cross of the
Teutonic order. Mind you: all websites on medieval matters which are
exclusively illustrated with 19th c engravings or other neo-gothic art are
suspect in my book.

Henk

  _____

Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
Download de gratis SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/lnl>  vandaag
nog!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]