Dear Lis-Pub-Libs,

In response to Rose Gibson’s earlier enquiry about possible approaches to the cataloguing of photographic collections, MDA publishes a series of guidelines on the documentation of photographs via the Collections Link website at: http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/manage_information/documenting_photographs. These resources include information on acquiring photographic collections, numbering them and then recording information about them.

We also publish a wide range of resources about the care and management of photography and film collections at http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/special_collection/photo_film. This includes an extensive guide to the Care of Photographic Materials and Related Media.

All Collections Link resources are published free of charge thanks to the support of the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council (MLA).

I hope this helps! Always remember that we run a direct telephone and email advisory service staffed by people with experience of a range of areas of documentation and collections management practice. To find out more, visit http://www.collectionslink.org.uk.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Poole

Chief Executive

MDA