From: For interlibrary-loan and document supply services. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham Titley
Sent: 22 October 2007 17:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: BL SED and printing problems

Jane

Firstly you need to establish what version of Adobe Reader the problem users are using – is there a consistent version which might suggest a loading error or a need to upgrade?  (Have they downloaded Reader 8 but not Digital Editions? www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions)

Secondly, is there a consistent location for the error, eg: Open Access computers.

A known problem occurs with Adobe Reader if it is not closed properly, particularly in open access areas.  Closing properly means using File Exit rather than the x close button or, even worse, logging off with the program open!  This usually results in Adobe opening with a blank screen and freezing, but it can also cause Adobe to ‘lose’ or ‘corrupt’ the files’ control data.  The only solution was/is to reboot the computer and to ask BL to resend the file (because you can’t access the download again and in rebooting you lose your activation data (except on a personal computer or a staff computer!).

We use SED as our default and process around 10,000 requests a year, with a problem rate of under 5% - mainly because users will not follow our good practice guidelines (Run the Test Document link we provide and only go to the document if that is successful!)

It is a bit frustrating having to ring for a resend but at least it is resolving the problem!

Graham Titley
Document Delivery and Copyright Librarian
University of Plymouth
Drake Circus
Plymouth
PL4 8AA