Hi Nigel,

I was intrigued by this as well when I saw it a few years ago. As Pete says picket is a military thing and another definition relates to a rifle bullet conoidal in shape but I think a well being named after a bullet is taking it a bit far.

Any chance it could be a corruption of piskie, pixie or something similar? Again it’s a long shot but covering a well to guard it from the little people makes more sense to me than any military connection.

Is Hampshire a superstitious county?

Found this image of it online

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/417413

Interesting a google search brings up a Robin Hood Picket Well in Yorkshire (but with no image) although a search on Robin Hood Well shows that one of them does have a cover but different to yours.

http://britannia.com/tours/rhood/rhwella1.html

Phil

Phil Carlisle

Data Standards Supervisor

English Heritage

National Monuments Record Centre

Kemble Drive

Swindon

SN2 2GZ

+44 (0)1793 414824

http://thesaurus.english-heritage.org.uk/

The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received the e-mail in error, please inform the sender and delete it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed to anyone else or copied without the sender's consent.

Any views and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of English Heritage. English Heritage will not take any responsibility for the views of the author.

P Please do not print this e-mail unless you really need to