Hello!
A reminder about next week's ESOL Research group meeting here at Leeds.
Best wishes
James
 *****

ESOL Research Group at Leeds

The next meeting of the ESOL Research Group will take place on

Thursday 18 October 2007

Time: 5.30-7.30 pm

Place: Room 1.24, Hillary Place Building, School of Education, University of Leeds

*****

On noticing and observing

Angi Malderez

University of Leeds

*****

In this session we will explore some of the challenges and difficulties in the embedded processes of noticing and observing in language classrooms. Developing these skills is important to any teacher because, I will argue, they underpin both appropriate responsive provision, and on-going self-managed professional learning. There are also occasions when one teacher might observe in another's class, such as in peer-observation or classroom research situations.  In such situations, understanding the nature, status and limitations of our observation records is invaluable: it not only supports rigorous research processes, but, I have found, helps to ensure that good relationships with our colleagues are maintained!

*****

As with all ESOL Research Group meetings, time will be set aside for more informal discussion of current ESOL issues.

All are welcome. If you plan to come, just send an email to James Simpson: [log in to unmask]. And please feel free to forward this message to others. A flier is attached.

*****

The ESOL Research Group is open to anyone with an interest in research into ESOL in the Skills for Life context in the UK, and who is within striking distance of the University of Leeds. This includes – but is not limited to – current students, ESOL researchers, practitioners currently carrying out research, practitioners who are planning to carry out research, and those who have been involved in previous ESOL research.

How to get to the university: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/visitors/getting_here.htm

How to get to Hillary Place: Hillary Place is close to the Parkinson Building (with the white clock tower). As you face the Parkinson steps, it is down the hill to your left, and on the left, opposite the old church. Hillary Place is a row of red-brick terraced houses.

Have a look at the map at: http://webprod2.leeds.ac.uk/campusmap/index.asp

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]