Hi,

I have queried this before. In days gone by at Bfd College there used to be separate funding for 1-1 interviews but this was stopped and interviews were then done in class time. This meant that either ss came for individual appointments, during class time, and 'homework' was set for the other learners or all learners attended and they worked alone on literacy stuff set by the tutor, while she/he took learners to one side for 1-1 tutorials.

With the WEA I believe the latter also happens although I think that because this is very difficult to do logistically, some tutors do short 1-1 interviews before or aftert the lesson, unpaid.

It is a murky area, but one I feel really strongly about because, given that we are expected to use ILPs, to use them effectively requires individual, private, tutorial time, partularly in very mixed level groups. This seems key to ensuring individual achievement.

I'd be interested to know how other people manage it.

Judith Boardman
*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]