Accepted. Words like "comorbid" just set my alarm bells ringing. I think it is very important for
those of us who are reserchers to try and reclaim the moral high ground with our own reserch by
challenging the paradigms which academia tries to force us into working with FWIW I suggest you read
Richard Bentall, "Madness explained" to see what I am saying about reserch being forced down neo
Kraepelinian lines. Psychiatric reserch which is just about validating existing notions and further
refining them rather than questioning the basis of such notions in the first place, and
investigations that are diminishing the roles of the participants, priveleging the gaze of
pharmacological intervention and "normalisation" is what we should be taking a stand against in our
own reserch design and the way in which we use research subjects. Good research should not only do
something for the general group being studied but actually leave those who participate in a better
understanding and a better position than they came to the reserch with.

Anxiety and depression are not illnesses, simply less pleasant facets of the human condition that
sometimes predominate in certain situations.  Having recently had the additional dx of OCD added to
my personal medical lexicon, I don't see that as an illness to be cured, but as something which if
it gets out of proportion is a bloody nuisance, but the origins of it as part of human diversity are
simply natural. I am beginning to sound like one of the old fashioned funtionalists now if I say
that everything has a funtion even if it is apparantly a maladaptation, it happens for some purpose
which needs to be understood as part of wider societal processes.

Larry

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: