we would use the checklists from  paul wender or from russel barkley for assessing students for ADHD
EPs' are not really in a position to assess for ADHD without excluding other co-ocurring conditions such as DCD( prevalent in about 40% of individuals) and ODD, OCD.
This really needs a diagnosis made starting from childhood and the best practice is gaining a history from a parent or another person with additional perspective of that individual when they were a child

No- i don't think HE is responding to ADHD or to DCD in this country- we need to consider a social model first in university by providing the strategies appropriate if you had these difficulties and not wait for a diagnosis when there is a shortage of professionals available to make it.
There is also the issue about medication which some adults will want to be advised about- an EP would not be in a position to provide this

see www.adhdtraining.co.uk for further information- happy to help if anyone is interested

Amanda Kirby
University of Wales Newport

David Pollak <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have a few questions about support for ADD students, if people have time to respond:
1. does anyone use a checklist such as David Grant's for screening?
2. do you use medical doctors for diagnosis/identification, or have you got EPs who are prepared to assess for it?
3. have you got support tutors who are able/prepared to work with ADDers?
4. have you had any demand for staff development session on ADD?
5. do you think HE in general is responding well to ADD in this country?

Thanks
David Pollak
De Montfort