INVITE TO WORKSHOP ON ANTI-WAR MOVEMENTS IN BRITAIN

Please come along to a research workshop bringing together a mix of academics and political activists to explore anti-war activism in Britain on Saturday 17th November 2007 at City University, London.

Since January 2006 we have been working on an Economic and Social Research Council (www.esrc.ac.uk) funded research project exploring anti-war activism and, in particular, the ways that activists impact on the media, use information and adopt technology. We've spoken to activists from a wide range of groups across the UK - large and small, local and national - with a range of different politics and forms of protest. We are now writing our results as a book, provisionally titled Anti-War Activism: New Media and Protest in the Information Age, to be published in 2008.

At the Anti-War Research Workshop we will be presenting some initial findings and inviting responses, critique and debate.

The event will take place on Saturday 17th November 2007, from 10am to 3pm at the Social Sciences Building, City University, St John Street, London, EC1V 0HB. Food and drink will be provided throughout the day and there is there is a small budget to cover some travel costs for post graduate students with an income of less that £15,000 p.a. To apply for help with costs, please get in touch well in advance.

Places are limited, so registration is essential. To help us cater and consider travel cost requests we ask that you please confirm attendance by 31st October 2007. To do so, contact Kevin Gillan (contact details below) and let us know:

*       Your name
*       Email and/or contact phone number
*       Affiliation (organisation, group, or independent)
*       Whether you request help with travel costs. If so, please estimate your costs. (We will confirm what help we can provide by early October)

*       Any special dietary requirements

Thanks for your time in reading this. If you know of others who would be interested in coming along, please get in touch and let us know who they are. If you'd like any further information on the project or the plans for the day please check the website (www.antiwarresearch.info) or contact Kevin using any of the details below.

Yours Sincerely,

Kevin Gillan, Frank Webster (City University) and Jenny Pickerill (Leicester University)

--
Please note my new contact details below:

Kevin Gillan
Lecturer
Sociology, School of Social Sciences
University of Manchester