Dear all

a fascijnating, if ironically deja vu disucssion.

were it not long since the Loss of heddgerows was bemoaned?

And this curious return to the privileging of the Gaze.
[ I would suspect that the ambulatory of horse riding, and motor and other bikes, other mobilities etc, would offer interesting elaboraion on this froma  bigger perspective of perforrmance, etc...

best
David

>>> Rhys Evans <[log in to unmask]> 09/24/07 11:51 AM >>>
Richard, your message very accurately represents the changing constructions of hedgerows in 21st century Britain -- yet another reflection of the changing relations of production present in the British countryside.   Not that the consumption of these 'natures' didn't occur during the time Nick and others speak of, but rather that the discourses of land and labour which surround them have changed so much.

Interestingly, i am working on a project with Dr. Alex Franklin called Equine Landscapes which looks at the various ways in which the growth of horsey activities might produce new socio-natures and perhaps, new rural spaces within Britain.  One of the ways we have explored this is the 'scopic regime' of equine activities -- horse riders' eyes are from 8 to 10 feet off the ground, which opens up a brand new visual countryside when 'hacking' past hedgerows.

Given horse riders' propensity to 'reward' equine-friendly landscapes with large spends, perhaps Hillary's high hedgerows might form new spaces of contestation about 'nature' -- a battle long familiar to ramblers.....

As an aside, i ride an old BMW touring motorcycle, which puts my eyes about two to three feet higher than they are in a car -- and even this brings new visual perspectives when i am riding around the countryside.

best
rhys

Dr Rhys Evans
Integrate Consulting
Blairgowrie Scotland,
www.integrateconsulting.co.uk

>>> richard spalding <[log in to unmask]> 08/30/07 11:22 AM >>>
.......WE CLIMBED over National Trail styles bounded by barbed wire "hedges", under track ways (covered in half chewed hazelnuts) made secret by unmanaged high hedges, past blackberry thickets and up and over stone hedges onto the "common" land.

WE GAZED from Hatterrall Hill onto the patchwork of hedge, copse and brook, much of it private and unreachable except from this vantage point. It seemed almost voyeuristic to imagine ourselves down there amongst those landscapes of labour ; those banks, ditches and wavy-edged markers of control.

Offering a continuation of the "nature cure" encounters proposed by Richard Maybey, WE SAW the quilt of pasture protected by the countless "stock-sheltering wind barriers" of these wild Marches.

WE CONSUMED hedges with our eyes and enjoyed our escape onto the Black Hill.
Nothing was stolen, save for for few blackberries and bilberry stains on our backs where we lay on that glorious day
Glimpses of private hedge from the high ridges suggest that we might celebrate "hedges as healers" and not just as functional ramparts.

I can send a picture of this hedgescape if anyone is interested.

Richard Spalding