To amplify Cornelius' point, such is only a contradiction for those who
locate the past elsewhere and treat the outcomes of their work as the
starting points. Contemporary past should be jarring to those who hold such
a belief precisely because it locates the past, not only in more recent
contexts, but also where it has always been in the present. The contemporary
is always made up of polychronic ensembles. In fact, I just picked up a book
off my shelf which translates something of the Egyptian past into two
dimensions, and I should get back to reading it.

--
Christopher Witmore PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate